Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Russian Mafia

Since I’m an imbecile living in Poland with an Egyptian passport, embassies refuse to issue for me long-term (1-2 years) visas. Their logic is simple, since I am not a Polish citizen or a Polish resident (I should get my residency some time next year) then they can only issue to me short-term visas.

So after waging a full fledged war against their messed-up logic, and let me explain my two key points:
1.The Polish regulations state that for the first year in Poland I don’t get a residency, I am on an extended work visa.
2.These embassies are in Poland and therefore should respect the Polish regulations and help foreigners –like me- issue long-term business visas in their first year.
.....I decided to let it go and be the bigger man, I took the chance that I am back in THE MOTHERLAND and I wanted to issue a few long-term visas to the countries I expect to visit in the next 1-year.

So here’s how the Russian Embassy Mafia operates in Cairo:
First, they ask for an HIV test and they have an exclusive deal with one of the worst labs in Cairo. Just walking inside this lab gives you the feeling that you’ll probably contract HIV. Wait, it’s not over, this “exclusive lab” charges 100$ for a standard HIV test that usually costs 20$! Which makes you wonder if the remaining 80$ somehow finds their way into the pockets of someone @ the Russian embassy.

Second, they don’t allow anyone inside the embassy?! So you need to bribe some middle man 50$ to do this for you!? And based on the guy I was working with 30$ go to the embassy people?!

Finally, even the official fees for a 1-year visa to Russia is 300$?!

I really find it a pity that such corruption exists in an institution that should represent a country.

No comments: